January 6, 2013
Scripture: St. Matthew 5:1-12
Text: verse 12, Rejoice and be exceedingly glad. For great is your reward in heaven, for so prosecuted they the prophets which were before you.
As we begin a New Year we should be cognizant that we must adopt God’s character! We must strive to be more like God in every aspect of our lives. We are in the world, but not of the world. If we want to be blessed then we must act like God and do what God would have us to do.
We can no longer act as the world acts. We can no longer retaliate when people use and abuse us. We cannot repay an eye for an eye or a tooth for a tooth. We must remember that vengeance is mine saith the Lord.
God has given us a code of ethics, His kingdom values, these beatitudes are not multiple choice. You can’t pick and chose the beatitude that best fits your order of the day. They inform us of how we should live then we are blessed by carrying out God’s will for our lives. The book of James tells us to count it all joy, when we are tempted, but Jesus says, “Rejoice and be exceedingly glad when we are persecuted.”
Each Beatitude tells us how to be blessed! Being blessed by God is the experience of hope and joy regardless of our outward situations or circumstances. Yes, we must go through a storm if we are to be blessed. If we never had any rain, we would never experience the sunshine. The next time you are persecuted read the aforementioned Scripture and be blessed as you adopt God’s Character!
1) You must have an honest heart Vs. 3
Be straight up with yourself. You at best are a filthy rag. What is your spiritual condition?
2) You must have a burden to see the lost come to Christ. When you mourn for others you will be comforted.
3) You must be meek, humble. Know that it is God who has made us and not we ourselves. Jesus rode into Jerusalem on the donkey of humility. As King this was an act of humiliation (Matthew 21:6).
4) You should hunger and thirst for God’s righteousness. God gives us what we need when we seek his will for our lives. He wants us to be intimate with him.
5) You must be merciful to others. If we don’t forgive a person of their sins, God will not forgive us of our sins.
6) You must have a pure heart, keep the peace at all times if possible that is if you want to see God and be called the children of God.
Conclusion: When taking on God’s character please note, you will be persecuted for His name sake, for great is your reward in heaven!!!!!!!!